Username: Password:

Author Topic: Important: David Anderson  (Read 4882 times)

Lyseri

• Chatterbox
Important: David Anderson
« on: December 27, 2012, 11:57:40 PM »
There's no easy way to say this, but we wanted to let our players know.

David Anderson (our implementor Drachnor) passed away the morning of December 27th following complications in a surgical procedure.  He was one of the founding members of CoM and pretty much the reason the game exists today.  We all owe an immeasurable amount to him.  He's the reason this game and all the memories we've made in it and the friends we've made through it have brought us so much joy these past years.

David was a wonderful friend and he will be sorely missed.

If anyone has any condolences they'd like sent to the family or even any amazing stories about David I could pass on, please email us at staff[at]mdhoria.net.

Iskvarren

• Administrator
  • Sir Spams-a-Lot
Re: Important: David Anderson
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
If you feel that this is not important to you because he was someone you never talked to, know that David was online almost every single day while this game was up.  He oversaw all the cool code and area updates in the game for the last few years while also maintaining the servers.  Some of you have even played with his character in game because he made one to see what was up, had fun with you guys, and felt the game was good.

We as the staff will miss him for much more than that, of course, but I urge you to write something if you appreciate what David did for you.
Everything is at the end of the to-do list.  Even the things at the front of the list are at the end.

pariah2350

• Quiet as a Mouse
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:02:46 AM »
This...sucks...

I've been playing off an on for the past few years, but I've never had a really important or deeply involved character. However (excluding the brief time that the MUD was shut down), this game has almost always been there for me when I've needed something different or when I've needed to kind of unplug from reality for a time. I don't know if I've ever had any actual, direct interaction with Drachnor himself...but I guess that with every login I kind of did. That isn't meant to be sappy; I just wanted to express that what he did was kind of important to me. Is it the world changing, cure for cancer kind of important? No. But this game has made me laugh when I've been in a sh*tty mood and helped me get my mind off of things when life has taken a turn towards Craptown and I just wanted to say "thanks".

I wish I had something more eloquent to write, but I hope this will do.

Xanthisai

• Quiet as a Mouse
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:03:19 AM »
Just after writing something for someone in the game, I suddenly feel woefully lost for words. I truly enjoy my time on COM, interacting with players and staff, trying to discover new things… and I will never know the full extent of what David did in order for me to enjoy it all to this day.

I pray that he is in a better place now.

Kedi

• Quiet as a Mouse
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
CoM has had a presence in my life as I've been here on and off since 2001. I had played on other MUDs before that, but once I came here it was a wrap. A lot of my friends don't understand how I could be on something that is a bunch of text. Who reads when you can get the latest patch to Skyrim and play it on an HD 1080 TV? I do and thankfully you guys do. I don't think that a TV could have captured the first time that I actually roleplayed. It was a Hunt quest with Grym. I was a level 18 half-siri ranger and I had no clue what was going on. Everyone involved brought me in and helped me out, even letting me participate in tracking this beast that was terrorizing the poor citizens. We killed the beat, had fun and I got inducted into the Hunt. At a meetup people from CoM, several IMMs got to see me in full renn faire garb getting led away by cops for underage drinking(none of them participated in my underage drinking, a friend that came with me did). I love that I have ridiculous memories like that. For that, I'm truly thankful for everything that David Anderson has done.
A tall, broad-shouldered human warrior says in common 'There is more to the battle then just strength, my friend.'
A tall, broad-shouldered human warrior continues to stare at a fluffy white squirrel.

yukiro

• Quiet as a Mouse
  • The Last Unicorn
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
Really sorry to hear about this. Loosing someone is always hard. Wish the family and friends the best during this time of loss.

I don't think I ever knew David personally and if I ever RPed with him then it was while I had no idea who he was or such. RIP David, known or not you will be missed and we'll always be thankful for what you've done for us.

xXx
Arias says in common, as he swishes the dagger in his hand, 'Take that Dire-Goblin! Fear my dagger of truthiness!'

There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.

Graven

• Quiet as a Mouse
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 01:47:30 AM »
So I was dickering around at the office when I saw a really cryptic social network entry from one of the current IMMstaff about David.  It became very clear that something pretty terrible had happened.  And something terrible did happen; a son, brother, friend & partner was lost.  And for dozens, even hundreds, a man who they probably never even knew, but most certainly benefited from his labors was lost.

There was a very specific reason that, the last time I played your game, the opening scroll contained the phrase, and I'm paraphrasing, "Special Contribution for Realms of Asgard from David Anderson."  Because he was the first of us.  Realms of Asgard became M'dhoria became Cities of M'dhoria became whatever it is you're playing today.

I'll be completely honest, I hadn't spoken to David in 10 years.  There were, on both sides, very specific reasons for that.  Suffice to say, to no one's surprise, we didn't like each other.  Our approaches, opinions, skillsets, etc were almost diametrically opposed.  We debated and questioned each other constantly.  In his own words in a statement that for whatever reason I've carried with me to this day, "I don't want you to play this game, but I really need you to build it."

Of all of the disparate people I encountered through this game; David was, specifically because of that, one of the few involved that I ever respected.  That I now spend a tremendous amount of my time dickering and/or negotiating with people I seldom (if ever) meet in person in order to conduct my company's business is an irony not lost upon me.  For whatever that's worth.  There are a lot of people that have passed through the 6996 port that, to this day, and believe that they somehow "matter" or "accomplished something."  The question of relevance was a surprisingly insightful discussion I had with your game's staff the other day.  Especially once I knew who they were.  The answer - most actually haven't.  David did.  David was relevant.  And that he continued to carry the torch, when everyone else passed it on, mattered.  And deserves our respect and recognition.
"Oh lawdy don't be flamin up mah board!"

Destroyer of Sweaters

• Blabs a Bit
  • It's Wet Willy Time!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
I Personally never met david. I might have sent him a tell once long ago. I vividly recall once seeing David forces you to type save. And that was the most interaction I had with him. It's really hard to talk about someone who never really knew, but I only feel it was right. I've been playing this game for.. well a long time, roughly ten years I would say. I always remember the line graven referenced "A special thanks to david anderson, and his contributions to realms of Assgard" Or something of that nature. He put a lot of work into this game, and continued to do so, or at least it seems to me. I don't know him personally, but I know it takes a compassionate person to keep doing what he did for how long he did. I thank him for all his work, so I could have fun.
Igrem pulls out some tools and begins to repair a litany of hymns to Jeyne in bloody letters.

Lartic

• RP Team
  • Blabs a Bit
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »
As most of us, I can only say that I knew Drachnor as the one who was always in the background making the world go around. I do remember the special message for him that used to be there
 I don't know if it there any more but if it isn't, perhaps it should be? It is a regrettable loss for this game and his family I'm sure. Iskvarren once said "Don't do anything you wouldn't want Drachnor to see". I don't know why that stuck with me. It always seemed so insignificant but I guess I will always remember that. Anyway as a tribute to him maybe something could be put in game in his memory. I really wish I had more to say about him but I only really knew what he did and never got to know him.