Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Scallop Festival IV: Part One, Boss Fight.  (Read 2762 times)

Araeus

• Quiet as a Mouse
The Scallop Festival IV: Part One, Boss Fight.
« on: May 25, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »
Salty Harbor Fish Shop
The aroma of fresh fish permeates the air.  Large wooden tables are covered
with the catch of the day.  A busy shopkeeper grabs the customer's choice,
weighs it, and quickly chops off the heads and tails, wrapping the remainder
in a piece of paper.  Outside, the sounds of the fishermen unloading their
catches can be heard. 

[Exits: south]
     A black scallop shell lies here, a note tucked within it.
     (Glowing) A string of paper lanterns with scallop print dangle overhead.
     A weatherbeaten wooden crate lies here, gathering dust.
A weathered woman in an apron arranges piles of fish on a large table.
A rotund human man with a curling moustache stands here, observing.

Harzi has arrived from the south.

Harzi waves.

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to a weathered woman in an apron in common, breaking off, '..and that's how I turned a ten gold investment into.. an empire!'

Alarac has arrived from the south.
Imbria has arrived from the south.
Wheelock has arrived from the south.

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says in common, with a slow wave of his cane, 'Welcome, wecome one and all! You.. ah.. you didn't happen to see my bodyguard around, did you?'

Gahr has arrived from the south.

Imbria says to Alarac in common, amused, 'Now you get the picture.'

Harzi shakes her head.

Alarac says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common 'No! The large taurlok man, you mean?'

Asyrious has arrived from the south.
A long-eared donkey has arrived from the south.
A scarred and savagely muscled black bear has arrived from the south.

Harzi says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common 'No, no taurloks around, I don't believe.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Alarac in common, with a curt nod, 'Indeed, indeed! I had him minding the dock around here. The waves have been.. rather curious as of late.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says in common, adjusting his monacle, 'Perhaps even.. suspicious.'

Alarac says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, simply, 'Maybe a scallop ate him.'

Imbria says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, dryly, 'Have they been full of scallops? Crazy, snapping scallops?'

Harzi nods at Alarac.

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Imbria in common, rubbing his chin, 'They have been teeming with altogether unpleasant scallops, yes!'

Wheelock says in common, proposing, 'Why not boil the water?'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Alarac in common, reiterated quickly, 'Unpleasant. Snappish. Slightly on the worrisome side.'

Imbria says to Wheelock in common, staring, 'And kill everything else in there?'

Harzi says to Wheelock in common, frowning, 'Boiling oceans is very dangerous, time consuming and extraordinarily wasteful.'

Alarac says to Wheelock in common, head shaking, 'You can't do that. It would anger all of the sea dragons, too, and -then- where would we be?'

Wheelock says to Alarac in common, stretching with a *pop*, 'I could stand to fight a sea dragon about now.'

Wheelock says to Alarac in common, in a rich baritone, 'Shake the dust from my bones, you know?'

Wheelock says to Imbria in common, in a rich baritone, 'But you, of course, raise a good point.'

An echoing roar shakes the shop's tables, the sound issuing from the direction of the dock.

Alarac says in common, wailing, 'Sea dragon! Aghh!'

Gahr glances ominously over his shoulder.

Harzi flails.

Imbria says in common, after a short moment, '..What.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, ducking behind a table, 'I'm sure it's.. nothing to.. WHAT IS THAT!?!'

Harzi says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, flailing some more, 'I told you they didn't like you!!'

Wheelock says in common, eyes glimmering with excitement, 'Ah!'

A wrenching scream fills the air, cut abruptly short.

Wheelock says in common, abruptly, 'Quickly. Form up.'

Wheelock says in common, snappily, 'Spells at ready, the lot of you.'

Asyrious says in common, in a deep, raspy voice, 'Who is leading this fight?'

Alarac says to Asyrious in common 'Er, I am! Sort of!'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache nods to Wheelock from his place behind the table.

Wheelock says in common, in a rich baritone, 'Whatever we're fighting.'

Imbria says in common, with a bit of a sigh, 'If this is going to be /messy/.'

Wheelock says in common, with a grimace, 'And without a healer. Outstanding.'

(The party rushes around Salty Harbor, picking up Savana on the way. They withdraw back to the Main and Eastern intersection for a moment.)

At Main and Eastern
The Eastern Road comes to an end here, striking Salty Harbor's lone street.  A
few wooden docks have been constructed along the waterline just to the east, a
series of small, simple buildings have been constructed along the road which
leads off to the north and south.  The air here is humid and breezy, a slight
smell of salt lingering on the winds.  The shrill cries of seagulls can be
heard from nearby. 

[Exits: north east south west]

Savana says in common 'What..is going on here?'

Savana says in common 'Well there is corpse. That's all I saw...'

The remnants of a wave splash in from the east, the waters stained with red.

Wheelock grimaces.

Alarac says to Savana in common 'Er, a taurlok corpse?'

Asyrious says in common, in a deep, raspy voice, 'Not good.'

Imbria shrugs.

(The party then moves to the End of the Pier to further investigate the chaos.)

The End of the Pier
The overlapping wooden planks and boards come to an end here.  Their edges are
swollen and cracking with years of waves, and a few recent patches and
replacements can be picked out with ease.  The thick pillars and posts here
are equally swollen, pulling tight the dozens of ropes and lines that circle
each of them.  The pier runs west towards the shore, while the harbor opens up
to the east.  Strong breezes blow from the north east, carrying the smell of
brine with them. 

[Exits: east west]
     A steaming pile of a taurlok mercenary with wickedly curved horns's entrails is lying here.
     The top half of a taurlok mercenary with wickedly curved horns lies here.
     The cleanly-severed legs of a taurlok mercenary with wickedly curved horns lie here.
A gray and white seagull wheels overhead, diving for scraps of food.

Planks and boards shatter, flying high into the air as the form of a massive scallop bursts in from the east!

Harzi says in common 'Oh no..'

Gahr says in common, his voice dry sounding, 'Killed the merc..'

Gahr says in common, his voice dry sounding, 'We could have used his help...'

A gigantic scallop covered in glowing coral roars, spraying water and bits of the taurlok everywhere!

Wheelock grimaces.

(This is what the scallop looked like.)

This scallop's razor-edged shell could easily encompass three taurloks, the
creature many times the size of its lesser kin.  Along the edge of its shell
is a tiny ring of murky green eyes, each the size of a child's marble.
Brilliant blue coral grows over the scallop's off-white shell like armor, the
spiny mass faintly glowing with a steady light.  Scores and tooth marks line
the scallop's thick shell, a testament to battles come and gone.

(The gigantic scallop covered in glowing coral attacks the group, and the creature is eventually felled.)

Wheelock shudders.

Wheelock places a hand on his chest and mumbles a prayer.

Alarac says in common, chest puffing out, 'Wonderous victory friends!'

Pieces of the coral from the scallop's corpse tumble to the ground amongst the rubble.

(The party gets several spiny spheres of blue coral as they fall off the shell.)

Gahr peers around instinctively.

Alarac says in common 'Can we... touch it?'

Gahr says in common, his voice dry sounding, 'Wondering if there will be more..'

Imbria says in common, brightly, 'Well! We should at least tell the fish shop person the news, yeah?'

Harzi watches the waves warily.

The ocean boils and churns over the pier as another form rises amongst the waves.

Gahr nods in agreement to Imbria.

Harzi nods at Imbria.

Alarac says in common 'Yes! Maybe she-'

Savana has arrived from the west.

Gahr says in common, his voice dry sounding, 'Oh..'

Harzi says in common 'Oh oh!'

Imbria says in common, after a moment, 'Maybe uh- after-'

Wheelock says in common, in a rich baritone, 'And a healer should look for the spirit of the taur.'

A gigantic scallop bursts from the waters, blasting the area with shards of broken wood!

Alarac recoils from the flying debris, brandishing a two-pronged spear of cracked, murky gray glass.

Gahr attempts to cover himself but takes a shard in his shoulder.

A gigantic scallop covered in glowing coral issues forth a bone-shaking roar that shakes the very air.

Harzi says in common 'Bash it bash it bash it!'

Harzi yells in common 'Bash it!'

Wheelock says in common, raising his voice, 'On my mark.'

(A second, more powerful gigantic scallop attacks the party. After a longer and more painful fight,
the creature is killed.)

Harzi winces.

Wheelock says in common, in a rich baritone, 'Rest up for the next wave.'

Gahr says in common, his voice dry sounding, 'I would say away from the water.'

Alarac says in common 'Back to the shore! Before we get assaulted again, yes.'

(The group retreats back to the Salty Harbor Fish Shop.)

Alarac says in common 'We can apply herbs and things if we go to the road, maybe!'

Wheelock says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, easing himself into a seated position against the wall, 'Your bodyguard is dead.'

The storm's fury pounds rain upon the shop's roof like the beat of a massive drum.

Gahr says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, his voice dry sounding, 'Split in two pieces...'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache winces.

Alarac says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, after a beat, 'Er, it's very sad. I'm sorry!'

Imbria says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, explaining a bit further, 'In pieces. Dead in pieces- and we managed to take down two very, /very/ angry scallops.'

Imbria beams a bright smile to Harzi.

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says in common, shivering, 'How.. how very dire!! And worse, I paid for his contract for another THREE YEARS!'

Harzi says in common, throwing her arms out, 'And they were THIS big!'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache sniffles as a small tear drops from his right eye.

Wheelock says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, flatly, 'What part do you have in this?'

Harzi says in common 'Not the contracts, the scallops.'

Wheelock says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, flatly, 'Scallops that big don't just appear.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Wheelock in common, after a slow, uneasy breath, ''Tis true, sir, 'tis true. I'd always heard legends about the ancient ones.. but those were legends! Not eviscerating, gigantic beasts!'

Wheelock drags himself up from the ground, approaching a rotund human man with a curling moustache.

Imbria says in common, as she crouches down, peering at the black scallops, 'And what are these /notes/. Who is Thren Allun.'

Wheelock says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, approaching him, hand idly resting on his sword-hilt, 'And that's all the information you have?'

Wheelock says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, eyes narrowing, 'Choose your words carefully, sir.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Imbria in common, trembling slightly, 'Why, ah, the murder mystery I'd planned. That doesn't seem to be the most important event of the moment, though!'

Harzi says in common, murmuring, 'Someone fill me in after I wake back up.'

Harzi goes to sleep in a huge scallop half shell lined with purple velvet.

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Wheelock in common, leaning on the table, 'Some.. superstitious doggerel I'd heard from fishermen over the years. "Don't pull on the scallops too hard, they'd say."'

Imbria says to Wheelock in common, as she straightens, tsking at him, 'Why're you all threatening and stuff? Does that get you really good answers or something?'

Wheelock says to Imbria in common, gesturing, 'This man isn't on the level. I doubt he's ever been on the level.'

Harzi wakes up and rests in a huge scallop half shell lined with purple velvet.

Wheelock says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, in a rich baritone, 'I doubt you'd know the level if it chomped you on the nose.'

Imbria says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, thoughtfully, 'And did you pull on the scallops too hard- wait, what does that even /mean/.'

Harzi stands up.

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says in common, leaning back, 'Some.. rot about when the gods created the first scallops, those scallops continued to survive.. and breed the entire lot of them! Why, if that was true.. they'd be..'

Imbria says to Wheelock in common, dryly, 'Yes but does it help to be all big sword and looming and everything?'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Imbria in common, tilting his head, 'Why, fishing, of course. Again, some nonsense about taking only what you needed.'

Asyrious nods at Imbria.

Asyrious says to Imbria in common, in a deep, raspy voice, 'I find yes.'

Wheelock says to Imbria in common, in a rich baritone, 'Often. But if you mean to order me to stand down, Lady Tempest, the order is heard and accepted.'

Alarac says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common 'But you took more than you needed, and now we're going to be eaten by massive, ancient scallops!'

Harzi swallows, hard.

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Alarac in common, smirking, 'If I had a sovereign for every nutter story I'd heard about the god of seagulls or the god of whales and so on, I'd.. well, I'd be richer than I already am.'

Imbria says to Wheelock in common, as she shrugs, 'It's not generally /my/ policy but he's talking now without that much of a fuss. How about you don't turn to it as a first option.'

Deverok has arrived through a gate.

Alarac says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common 'Have you ever seen a giant scallop eat a taurlok? I sure haven't!'

Deverok says in common, in a deep, gravelly voice, 'Um....'

Wheelock says to Imbria in common, nodding, 'As you will.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Alarac in common, idly toying with his moustache, 'A shark? Once or twice. But a scallop..? Never.'

Deverok says in common, in a deep, gravelly voice, 'For more people than I was expecting.'

Imbria says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, as she makes a vague gesture with her hand, 'Setting that aside- do the legends say how such angry scallops could be appeased? Maybe with wine or brandy or corpses of seals or something?'

Harzi says to Deverok in common, huffing, 'This is supposed to the scallop festival finale.  Of course there are lots of people.'

Asyrious nods at Harzi.

Deverok says to Harzi in common, in a deep, gravelly voice, 'I didn't know that's where I was going. I simply anchored to someone with my magic...didn't know everyone was gathered for any festival.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Imbria in common, furrowing his brow, 'Why, those old ones aren't even supposed to exist! And if they did, ma'am, they'd be at the very bottom of an ocean.'

Harzi waves it off and focuses her attention on a rotund human man with a curling moustache.

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says in common, snickering under his breath, 'Hmm, it would appear feeding them a taurlok doesn't work.'

Wheelock looks up at a rotund human man with a curling moustache sharply.

A rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, swiftly correcting himself, 'Which is a terrible, terrible tragedy!'

Imbria says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, rather patiently, 'Ye-es but we have /some/ evidence that something exists. So if you've heard of any other legends-'

Gahr says in common, his voice dry sounding, 'What is the Red Kiss?'

Imbria says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, rolling her eyes, 'You losing all the gold from the contract certainly is a tragedy.'

Deverok whispers in common to Asyrious, in a deep, gravelly voice, 'I'll find you later.'

Savana nods at Harzi.

Asyrious says in common, in a deep, raspy voice, 'Should stay.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Gahr in common, pursing his lips, 'A.. prostitute's disease.'

Deverok says to Asyrious in common, in a deep, gravelly voice, 'Why?'

Asyrious says in common, in a deep, raspy voice, 'Death and destruction and mayhem.'

Deverok says in common, in a deep, gravelly voice, 'Good enough reason.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Imbria in common, sighing, 'Well.. if one should put any manner of stock into those legends, there was only supposed to be.. two.'

Gahr says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, his voice dry sounding, 'That is unfortunate for this Thren...'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says in common, under his breath, 'Two, right? Or was it ten? No no, assuredly only two.'

Harzi says in common, with a start, 'Ten?!'

Alarac says to Harzi in common 'Ten! That is a lot of man-eating scallops!'

Asyrious says in common, in a deep, raspy voice, 'Hope it wasn't two and ten or ten and two.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Asyrious in common, waving his hands, 'Fishermen tales! Of course they exaggerate.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says in common, softly, 'Somewhat.'

Imbria says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, as her eye twitches, '..Two. Right.'

Alarac says in common, paling a shade, 'Maybe we should... go make sure. I don't want to get swallowed by sitting in here!'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says in common, inhaling and furrowing his brow, 'I shall go have a look to see if it is indeed safe.'

(a rotund human man with a curling moustache goes south to Main Street.)

A rotund human man with a curling moustache shouts in common 'AAAAAAAAAAAARR!'

(The entire group swiftly runs to the area.)

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says in common, pointing with his cane, 'There is trash EVERYWHERE!'

Alarac lets out a sudden puff of air, head bowing at a rotund human man with a curling moustache.

Gahr lowers his gaze at a rotund human man with a curling moustache.

Harzi flails at a rotund human man with a curling moustache.

Harzi says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common 'You gave me an AWFUL fright!'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache reels backward, gasping.

Alarac says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, exasperated, 'We thought you were being eaten!'

Imbria says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, rolling her eyes again, 'Of /course/. You gather people here for a festival, don't you think trash would get everywhere?'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Imbria in common, tapping his cane on the ground, 'They could be a little more discrete about it.'

Wheelock says to a rotund human man with a curling moustache in common, in a rich baritone, 'What's the natural predator of scallops?'

Asyrious says in common, in a deep, raspy voice, 'Crabs makes sense, since they have claws to crack them.'

A rotund human man with a curling moustache says to Wheelock in common, with a thoughtful look, 'Fishermen. Probably some even worse, monstrous sea horror. But mostly fishermen.'

(Seeing that no other gigantic scallop monsters are assaulting Salty Harbor, the group begins to segue mostly into the murder mystery portion. Good thing there were only two, right? Or ten. Something like that.)