Username: Password:

Author Topic: Caterpillar invasion and the hunt for a piece of pie  (Read 2582 times)

Lotus

• Quiet as a Mouse
Caterpillar invasion and the hunt for a piece of pie
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:55:27 AM »
Vherie tilts her head slightly to the side.

A young fruit picker sets a basket partially filled with various fruits down on the ground. She peers into the basket with a frown, lines of panic showing through the calm expression she wears.

Lira looks at a young fruit picker.

Claire steps over to the fountain and cups her hands to make a bowl which she fills with water, lifting her water filled hands to her mouth to drink, beginning to eye a young fruit picker curiously.

Vherie remains behind, looking around, but follows your glance to a young fruit picker, noticing his distress.

a young fruit picker  says in common, reaching into the basket to lift one of the fruits, inspecting it, 'What ever am I going to do?'

Lira says to a young fruit picker in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Is something wrong with your fruit, sir?'

Lira frowns.

Lira looks at a young fruit picker.

Lira drinks water from a fount of clean water.

Lira says in common, quietly to Vherie and you, 'You don't think he's short on peaches, do you? I'd then fee bad for eating one.'

A young fruit picker drops the fruit back into the basket before turning to face those gathered, as if noticing the group for the first time. Her mouth hangs open awkwardly, her hands supporting herself on the baskets edge.

You say to Lira in common, in a flat, direct manner, 'I would hope that something would be said, or perhaps a sign posted if they were to make a certain fruit off limits.'

Lira says to a young fruit picker in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Maybe we could help!'

a young fruit picker  says to Lira in common, explaining, 'We recently have became aware of a bug problem here in the Orchards, with several of the fruits. It has become increasingly hard to get our baskets full.'

A young fruit picker leaves north.

Within the Serian Orchards
Many of the trees in this row carry fig fruits that hang and almost seem to weight down some of the higher branches of the trees, making picking of the fruit within reach of anyone.  Long rows of well groomed trees fill this section of the orchard.  The trees here have a pale looking colored bark which is rough.  The leaves are a rich green in color, and small blossoms cover a few of the trees.  The ground is quite clean of weeds and grasses, and seems to be made of well packed dirt.  Quite a bit of shade dots the area, as the leaves from the trees provide adequate cover from the sky.

A sprawling fig tree with lobed leaves dangles its fruit here.
A young fruit picker is here, tending to the orchard.
Vherie has arrived from the south.
Lira has arrived from the south.

a young fruit picker  says to Lira in common, beginning to speak with her hands hastily, 'You see, there are orders that we must fill and have delivered. I have been so occupied with trying to combat these bugs I haven't even had the time to make my morning delivery.'

Vherie says in common, pursing her lips, 'Hmm... I could use -fire-... That might not be a good idea though.'

Claire listens to a young fruit picker but casually mvoes over to the fig tree, reaching up to grab a handful of figs which she discretely begins to eat, lokoing between everyone.

You get a ripe fig from a fig tree.

Lira says to a young fruit picker in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Well, ok then, perhaps we could handle that for you!'

You eat a ripe fig.

You are no longer hungry.

Vherie says in common, in a quiet tone, 'I could probably make the delivery with MAGIC, too! I could be there and back in no time!'

Lira tuts audibly at you.

A young fruit picker looks around surreptitiously and licks her lips.

A young fruit picker gets a ripe fig from a fig tree.
A young fruit picker eats a ripe fig.
A young fruit picker wipes her mouth off with her sleeve.

Lira says to a young fruit picker in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Yes! We have magic. Except Claire. We could certainly help you.'

a young fruit picker  says to Vherie in common, her eyes wide with alarm, taking her attention from inspecting the fruit in the trees, 'I'm afraid fire would destroy all of the Orchards! We cannot do that!'

Vherie says to a young fruit picker in common, fingers wiggling, 'I know! I just said that. Uh. I can do the delivery though. I can use magic!'

You say to a young fruit picker in common, motioning to Lira, 'She is correct, all I am able to do is maybe pick some of the fruit for you, or chop the trees down.'

A small fuzzy caterpillar has arrived from the south.

You say to Vherie in common, grinning, 'I am sure chopping them down is a plan much alongside your idea to use fire.'

a young fruit picker  says in common, nodding to Claire while stomping on one of the caterpillars, 'I would welcome the help, what is it that we can do? I must try to save these fruits and make my delivery.'

Claire winces as a young fruit picker smashes one of the caterpillars, looking between both Vherie and Lira curiously.

Vherie says in common, in a quiet tone, 'I... uh. Can still make the delivery...'

Vherie says in common, in a quiet tone, 'If you know where... Like. Magic. Poof. I'm there.'

Vherie wiggles her fingers awkwardly.

Lira smirks, nodding.

Lira says to a young fruit picker in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'We can also help with the bugs, if help is needed here. It's the caterpillars, then?'

a young fruit picker  says to Vherie in common, tilting her head curiously to the side, 'So your saying you could just simply take my basket of fruits and make yourself, and it disappear and reappear at my destination?'

Vherie says to a young fruit picker in common, in a quiet tone, 'Weeeeell... If I know the place. Where do you need it?'

a young fruit picker  says to Lira in common, turning her head to Lira an almost horrified expression on her face, 'You do not understand, they are -everywhere-'

Lira looks all around.

a young fruit picker  says to Vherie in common, poking the basket with her foot, 'It is not even half full, I would need to have it filled, with ediable fruit, and taken to the market in a very short amount of time.'

Lira takes a moment, looking over the expanse of the orchard.

You say to a young fruit picker in common, lifting a hand, looking at both Vherie and Lira, 'Well I can pick fruit, that is something within my talent pool.'

Lira nods.

Lira says to a young fruit picker in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'We can certainly help pick fruit and deliver it, even if not all the bugs can be quashed.'

Vherie nods.

A small fuzzy caterpillar leaves south.

Several more caterpillars begin to enter the area, making their way toward the trees, as well as spreading out over the immeadiate area

A tickling sensation can be felt as a caterpillar begins to make its way up Vheries foot to reach her ankle

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Oh dear.'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Ok...wait, let me think...'

Vherie eeps as she leaps back, brushing at her foot to knock away a caterpillar.

Vherie says in common, in a quiet tone, 'Ewww.'

You say to Lira in common, arching a brow, 'Should we make an effort to smash them as we go? If we deliver the fruit it should allow her time to begin to combat the infestation.'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Spells...'

Lira says to you in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Make an effort to get the fruit, I wish to try something.'

Lira mutters a few things under her breath, attempting to recall knowledge.

Vherie says in common, in a quiet tone, 'Hmm...'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'I...don't
now if this will work on bugs, but...'

Lira utters the words, 'plwi ay ppaeuwail'.
Lira sends a hymn of harmony through the area!

Lira frowns.

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Calm, Lira, calm.'

a young fruit picker  says  to Vherie in common, smashing the caterpillar Vherie knocked away, 'If you all could get this basket filled and out to the Serian marketplace, Hildee can take care of the rest.'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'It was...worth a shot.'

Lira nods.

Vherie says in common, in a quiet tone, 'Oh, to Hildee then! Okay...'

The caterpillars seem to pause in their advance for a brief moment, they are sooned joined by other caterpillars and begin to inch forward again to spread out

Vherie utters the words, 'oeha'.
Vherie begins to step through a gate.

Vherie has arrived through a gate.

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Oh dear.'

Lira concentrates on something.

Vherie says in common, giggling, 'Gone to Hildee and back already! Just because I can.'

You say to Vherie in common, motioning to the basket, stepping forward to squash one of the bugs, 'We still must fill this basket first.'

Vherie says to you in common, in a quiet tone, 'So, uh... Yep!'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Fill the basket, I will continue my attempts.'

Lira begins picking figs as she mutters incantations to herself.

A young fruit picker leaves east.

Claire begins to draw her sword but looks around at the caterpillars and shrugs, beginning to pace over to the tree and rifle through the fruit to find some caterpillar free specimens she then adds to the basket.

Lira peers intently east.

Lira says in common, sighing, 'I cannot once be successful, can I?'

A light weight is felt on Lira's hand as she reaches for the fruit, a caterpillar having climbed aboard, beginning to inch its way up her arm

Lira says in common, looking at the caterpillar, 'Um, yes...come here, little one. Away from the fruit!'

You say to Lira in common, wincing as she shakes her hand, sending a caterpillar sailing off which she follows up to smash, 'Do not get discouraged.'

Lira moves the caterpillar along to her other arm, using the newly freed one to continue picking at fruit.

Several caterpillars begin to rain down from the tree, to remain frozen on the ground for a period of time as the hymn carries throughout the area

Lira grins, slightly encouraged at the sight.

You are hungry.

Claire pauses from picking the fruit and backs away from the tree as the caterpillars begin to fall. Her eyes widen as she continues to back away, dumping the gathered fruit into the basket.

Vherie blinks as she watches that, tilting her head.

Vherie says in common, in a quiet tone, 'Uhm.. How do we ge them out?'

You say to Vherie in common, in a flat, direct manner, 'Not something you see everyday.'

Lira says to you in common, still conducting the spells with her hand, 'I'd have no clue. Throw them, teleport them, do as you've been doing. I hardly expected such an attempt to work!'

The fallen caterpillars begin to squirm on the ground, being joined by more that fall from the branches of the trees. The advance seems to slow, each caterpillar holding its own position

Vherie says to you in common, in a quiet tone, '... Want to get a broom?'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'One moment!'

Lira says to Vherie in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Go get a bag. A big one!'

Claire looks to Vherie for a moment, a clueless expression is worn on her face. She looks back to the mass of caterpillars that begin to grow on the ground.

You say to Vherie in common, her eyes still wide, 'The broom may not be a half bad idea either.'

Vherie says in common, in a quiet tone, 'Okay!'

Vherie leaves east.

Lira weaves her magic with her hands, keeping the hymnal sounds echoing through the trees.

Claire draws in a deep breath before starting forward with a determined look, beginning to dance her way through the writhing masses so she may claim more fruit to relay back to the basket.

Lira begins to collect caterpillars, holding them in pockets and her hands, still mouthing her incantations and whatever hand motions she can as she goes.

Vherie has arrived through a gate.

The rain of caterpillars seems to slow, the ones on the ground beginning to squirm about. After several moments they seem to make formation and all slowly begin to advance toward Lira

Vherie gives a broom of lashed reeds to Lira.

Vherie gives you a broom of lashed reeds.

Vherie gives a simple cloth backpack to Lira.

Vherie gives you a simple cloth backpack.

Vherie blinks.

Vherie says in common, with a pause, '.. Do caterpillars usually do that?'

Claire nods at Vherie and shares a brief smile before the determined look coming back to her eyes, she moves over to her side and tries to sweep back some of the approaching caterpillars, forming a small mound.

Lira says to Vherie in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'No...that is...different.'

You say to Vherie in common, shrugging as she sweeps, 'I do not know, I haven't ever seen this many in a group.'

Lira dumps various caterpillars from her pockets and hands into your pile.

Lira says to you in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'That is a good point as well.'

Lira sits on the ground as the caterpillars approach.

Several of the caterpillars begin to break formation, as the sounds fade out. A number of them still working their way to Lira

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Oh dear, um...'

Vherie nods and begins to brush the caterpillars on the ground towards a simple cloth backpack.

Claire kneels down and closes her eyes. She blindly begins to reach out and grabs handfulls of the caterpillars, only to shove them inide the backpack, repeating this process.

Lira says in common, moving her hands about once more, trying to draw out the magic, 'Come on, little dears, over to us!'

Freezing in their tracks, the caterpillars quit moving forward to rest a moment before all slowly beginning an inch by inch surge toward Lira

Vherie says to Lira in common, in a quiet tone, 'You've got the.'

Vherie says to Lira in common, in a quiet tone, 'Er... Backpack to put them in!'

Lira nods.

Vherie continues to broom as much as possible, scooping them with the backpack.

Lira begins reach out with her free hand to pick up and place caterpillars into the bag.

Vherie continues to sweep* as much as possible, scooping them with the backpack.

Claire stands up to come to her aid, beginning to sweep at more of the caterpillars, rolling them into another small mound. She quickly kneels and grabs at them placing more into the backpack.

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'That fruit picker was correct, they really are everywhere...'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Have we gotten enough fruit in the basket for the delivery?'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Do you think? How much fruit is enough fruit?'

The numbers begin to thin considerably, caterpillars having arrived from other areas, though their are not nearly as many. The continue to squirm their way toward Lira

You say to Lira in common, looking to Vherie, 'I'd managed to grab much from here, we may make good to grab some of the other fruits to toss on top from the other trees.'

Lira nods.

Lira stands up with her backpack, moving to collect more caterpillars.

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'I can hardly believe this worked!'

Claire lets out a deep breath, her mound of caterpillars not quite as high. She continues to shovel them into her backpack that has now begun to quiver with its contents.

Lira looks inside her bag, and immediately looks away.

Vherie continues to sweep them in, grunting a little as she lifts back.

Vherie continues to sweep them in, grunting a little as she lifts a simple cloth backpack.

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'They look quite odd when bunched together like that.'

Vherie says in common, huffing, 'They always look odd.'

You say to Lira in common, shaking her head in disbelief, 'Nor I, but I do not want to question it, I can't imagine what else we may of had to do.'

Lira conducts in larger patterns in an attempt to sustain her magic.

Claire looks at her backpack as if it were a horrid monster, deciding to focus on just shoveling the remaining caterpillars into the backpack blindly.

You say in common, in a flat, direct manner, 'I am nearing full on my backpack it would seem. Perhaps we should check in with the fruit picker and see how she has managed?'

Lira nods, looking at her own nearly at-capacity bag.

Lira looks all around.

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Where is she?'

Lira peers intently south.

Claire closes the backpack but struggles at finding a way to grab the pack. She snatches it up and throws it on her back, exhaling as she does so. She walks over to the basket and lifts it up, and scans the area.

You say in common, in a flat, direct manner, 'Let us go find her, she has to be somewhere, unless these creatures ate her.'

Lira grins, nodding.

Lira looks all around.

Lira says to you in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Seems we found ourselves a little adventure, after all!'

Lira looks all around.

You say to Lira in common, nodding, 'Shall we go meet Vherie? I think they can handle the rest of this.'

You say to Lira in common, in a flat, direct manner, 'You are not kidding.'

a young fruit picker  says  in common, sincerely, with a look of relief, 'Thank all of you so much, we can take it from here. I cannot thank you enough for your efforts.'

You say to Lira in common, in a flat, direct manner, 'Well that settles it, lets leave, I don't thik I'll ever look at this place the same.'

Lira says to a young fruit picker in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'No thanks necessary. We'll be on our way, to meet with our friend who made the delivery.'

Lira smiles.

Lira says to you in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'You can still eat the fruit!'

You say to Lira in common, in a flat, direct manner, 'I so want some pie after all this.'

Lira says to you in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'That sounds reasonable.'

+++++++++++++++++++++++

(after making their way to Hildee)

Claire smiles at Vherie and stalks over to the table to sit down heavily, laying
 her head in her hands.

Vherie left the basket on the table, and nodded.

Vherie says to you in common, in a quiet tone, 'I think she's just really busy..
'

Lira buys a strawberry fritter drizzled with icing from Hildee.

Lira eats a strawberry fritter drizzled with icing.

Hildee makes her way over to the table and touches her hands on the basket, look
ing at Vherie curiously, with an apologetic look.

Hildee says to Vherie in common, nodding, 'In fact I was, I had to find new specials
 to make due, the fruit I had ordered did not show up, what is this?'

Vherie says to Hildee in common, in a quiet tone, 'The fruit your ordered of cou
rse! The orchard folks were busy. Lots of caterpillars all over the place.'

Hildee says to Vherie in common, blinking several times before smiling broadly, 'You
 are kidding me? Well this is just grand, I must take this back to the kitchen t
o begin work right away.'

Vherie says to Hildee in common, in a quiet tone, 'Yep! This is it. Or at least that's what the Orchard lady said..'

Hildee says in common, lifts the lid of the basket and drops it before grabbing the basket to turn toward the kitchen, 'This is just grand, I cannot thank you enough!'

You say in common, looking down at the table from between her hands, 'I will most certainly enjoy a bath tonight, of that I am sure.'

Lira half-smirks, half-grimaces as she nods in agreement.

Hildee returns after a moment and places three cups of tea in the center of the table. She smiles sweetly and heads back off to the kitchen without a word.

Lira beams brightly, settling in at the table and taking a sip of the tea.

You say to Lira in common, looking up from her hands, 'You are right though, we did manage to find an adventure after all.'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'Nothing like a nice cup of tea after a day's work of caterpillar wrangling.'

Lira says to you in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'I could have sworn for a moment that they were going to all come upon me and coccoon.'

Vherie says to Lira in common, in a quiet tone, 'What did you do with the bags?'

You say to Vherie in common, turning her attention to begin to laugh quietly, 'Look, you did not get stabbed on this adventure after all, and those moves you made when the caterpillars got close could be considered sashaying, right?'

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'I...one moment.'

Lira utters the words, 'faew'.
Lira roams into the shadows.

You say to Vherie in common, looking over her shoulder, 'I left them on the ground, they said they could handle it from there on in, I assume they will take care of the mess.'

Lira roams out of the shadows.

Lira says to Vherie in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'I...handled it.'

You say to Vherie in common, in a flat, direct manner, 'They may in fact take up your origial idea of fire to get rid of them.'

Vherie says to you in common, in a quiet tone, '... Oh.'

You say to Lira in common, turning to Lira lifting her brow curiously, 'You...handled it?'

Lira says to you in common, nodding firmly, sipping her tea, 'I handled it!'

Claire reaches for the cup of tea and begins to sip at it, a wave of relaxation seeming to crash over her form.

You drink chamomile tea from a ceramic cup.

You say to Lira in common, nodding, 'Fair enough, it is no longer a worry then.'

You drink chamomile tea from a ceramic cup.

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'I think I must finish my tea and be on my way.'

You say to Lira in common, shaking her head after a moment, 'I do not know what to make of it, for whatever reason, be it some spell but they all seemed to like you.'

You say in common, nodding in agreement, 'Yes, I as well, I will be needing much rest...and a bath after that adventure.'

Vherie says in common, in a quiet tone, 'Oh well...'

Lira says to you in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'The spell I cast is new to me...it certainly had an odd effect, didn't it?'

Claire sips at her tea and aims a warm smile at Vherie , moving to sit more upright.

Lira says to Vherie in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'I'd love to get to know you some more. You were excellent company for such an adventure.'

Vherie says to Lira in common, in a quiet tone, 'Uhm.. Thanks!'

Lira sips away the last of the tea in her cup, nodding.

Lira says in common, with calm, smooth inflection, 'I'll be off. It was lovely seeing you both. Good night!'

Lira utters the words, 'faew'.
Lira roams into the shadows.

*****Hildee later made pie for all to have!*********