Username: Password:

Author Topic: Inquiries on Accepted Character Concepts  (Read 614 times)

Tumble

• Quiet as a Mouse
Inquiries on Accepted Character Concepts
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:07:38 PM »
Salutations folk,

Um. For the record, I am, by no means, new to M'Dhoria. However, I was never able to fully invest in the game, as  I really wanted, and I've more or less been hovering around the site for a few years...just seeing what y'all be doing, watching for activity, updates and the like. I played two characters some years ago, but as I said, investment and availability really cut in my fun time.  The forums don't seem to be incredibly responsive lately, but I could be wrong...

You could just...I dunno...call me an admirer from afar~♥♥♥

I did have a question, albeit a wobbly one. And I'm hoping for a clear, simple answer, not that I mind anyone tossing in some glitter and confetti. Though, keep in mind, I am old ....and a bit of a wet blanket...

Now, I am wondering how lenient the game is on character concepts, and creativity? To elaborate, let us say, for instance, you're alignment and class fit on concept. That doesn't mean you're slaughtering ever evil person you see, or even worst, ignoring evil outright?

Say you're Lawful evil, in a particularly evil class, and want to worship Quirmel (goddess of law). But through that selection, it doesn't particularly MEAN that I would HAVE to RP an unreasonable, murdering psychopath, or reflect it in the roleplay of the character, does it?

I wouldn't want to come off as a "snowflake", just because I would want a character to expression a particular "personality" while also expression traits attributed toward their class, alignment, and beliefs. Especially if such behaviors are deemed unacceptable to the game as a whole...

I've been reading the helpfiles over and over for the longest time. Believe me. And I enjoy a RP enforced MUD, I really do. But I'd like some elbow room for my own creativity, and I don't want to ruin everyone's fun, as much as  I wouldn't want anyone to ruin my own..

What is acceptable and what isn't, is really where this question applies..

~ Tumble, Long Time Admirer
Righteousness and honesty are valuable. I go knife raised into danger, without regret.
For sake of my good buddies, I am prepared. I have no fear of death. Who would dare to challenge me? ~ (陸小鳳)

Greyankh

• Quiet as a Mouse
Re: Inquiries on Accepted Character Concepts
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:43:12 AM »
Now, I am wondering how lenient the game is on character concepts, and creativity? To elaborate, let us say, for instance, you're alignment and class fit on concept. That doesn't mean you're slaughtering ever evil person you see, or even worst, ignoring evil outright?

Say you're Lawful evil, in a particularly evil class, and want to worship Quirmel (goddess of law). But through that selection, it doesn't particularly MEAN that I would HAVE to RP an unreasonable, murdering psychopath, or reflect it in the roleplay of the character, does it?

I wouldn't want to come off as a "snowflake", just because I would want a character to expression a particular "personality" while also expression traits attributed toward their class, alignment, and beliefs. Especially if such behaviors are deemed unacceptable to the game as a whole...

Let's take your Lawful Evil character.  You can be cordial and be LE.  You can be honorable and be LE.  You can even be merciful and be LE.  Evil is subjective in regards of how it is perceived.  A LE warrior can lure his/her adversary outside of the city to kill them so as to not break the law.  A LE cleric could denounce the current leadership, frame them, watch as they are executed, all in the guise of being their friend.

There are many ways in which evil can be roleplayed that doesn't involve a single kill command.  I have had many evil characters where I never once initiated a PK.  A long time ago, I was once hunted by the majority of the playerbase.  Needless to say, I lost that battle and many others, but there was no doubt that my character was evil, and I never once did mindless killing( except to level ).

The immortal staff is extremely helpful and they will often times help with concepts.
Life is a hard teacher, she gives you the test first, the lesson afterward.