Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shifter Class  (Read 125 times)

Lartic

• RP Team
  • Blabs a Bit
Shifter Class
« on: January 23, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
So I had some time to toy around with a shifter recently and felt that they were pretty underwhelming. I was hoping to get a thread going for suggestions and ideas from people to make the class better down the road when that becomes something we can do again. Ideally if someone has played the class a lot recently it would be great if they could chime in as well. So I'm just going to list a few ideas I had for them.

So shifters get astral walk, portal, and nexus. It seems a little redundant for them to have all that. I would suggest pulling portal from their list and leaving their unique spell nexus.

Clairvoyance is next to useless. Presently if lets you see the spellbook of the target. When does anyone need this? I could list the reasons why this is awful, but they're pretty simple conclusions. Instead, I was thinking that it could let the shifter read the resistance table of the target.

Mind flay: Reduces the target's spell efficacy. This would be great, but the absence of end game casters makes it pretty uncommonly used. I feel like we can do something better with this.

Psionic Surge: This has got to be one of the worst spells in the game. The shifter is a caster and their capstone ability halves their mana pool in exchange for temporary hit points. So basically it allows the shifter to take a little more damage in exchange for running out of mana quickly and basically just standing there in combat. This feels like it could be something way better as well.

Radial distortion: It slows the enemy group by 20% maybe.

Telepathy: Works like Eavesdrop but unlike Eavesdrop it has a saves check. Seems very impractical for a channel less frequently used than whisper. Infact, the majority of the time people use thinks is around shifters, so why make it harder?

Lartic

• RP Team
  • Blabs a Bit
Re: Shifter Class
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »
I had another thought today. There are no tank mages. It would be neat to change shifters into one.

Psionic surge could change into something similar to turtle stance and area rescue that saps mana instead of movement.

To help with AC a skill or spell that adds saves directly to AC. Call it mind over matter or something.

Xanthisai

• Blabs a Bit
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:46:32 PM »
So I suddenly had this thought (which I know is more coding and why am I even sugesting this?) and just thought to log it in somewhere... just a thought...

We don't really have much going on when we sleep. Most things shut down then. But what if, just for the fun of it, there was a skill that ONLY worked when you slept?!

Like, instead of Astral Walk, there became Astral Projection, where you temprarily left mortl body and became a ghost... only to return to your body when your energy / time runs out or someone wakes you or you wake up etc.

Just a fun thought. Don't think it makes the class stronger though.

Dmitrei Payne

• Chatterbox
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:53:30 PM »
I suggest this only because I've always thought classes should have a single powerful "RP skill" that only they get and that is an incentive for playing a long time with the same character and a reward for continued mastery of a class above combat related. I understand this is probably not gonna happen as the code involved would probably be ridiculous. Anyways. Here's an idea to chew on:

Telepathy is an RP skill, and I think it should reflect that. If it ever was completely redone, I would recommend telepathy be changed to proficiency or a linguistic skill that you cannot practice with points; it would go up very slowly on its own (not from spamming chat or whispers but just randomly going up with a perfect roll and luck with time). Only shifters who have been around for a very long time would really benefit the most from it. And instead of acting like eavesdrop, it should have % chance be able to hear all forms of communication in an area, both in the immediate room and in the area zone, including whispers and thoughts, of course, if not visible (ie: chat in the area) you won't know who is saying it.

I also like the sleeping ideas mentioned above, perhaps a shifter would additionally have more control over their lucid dreaming and could cast spells on themselves or to the room while asleep or even have the ability to be aware while sleeping. (listen and see "Someones" (sensing presences) in the room as if not sleeping, but unable to do actions until you wake).